Swiatek, Kvitova advance to quarterfinals of Ostrava Open
OSTRAVA, Czech Republic (AP) — Top-seeded Iga Swiatek of Poland advanced to the quarterfinals of the Ostrava Open on Wednesday with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over unseeded Yulia Putintseva of Kazakhstan.
The 2020 French Open champion converted three of her seven breakpoints and dropped her serve once to set up a quarterfinal match against either seventh-seeded Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan or fellow Pole Magda Linette at the hardcourt indoor tournament.
Second-seeded Petra Kvitova beat Anastasia Potapova of Russia 6-1, 6-7 (4), 6-3 to make the quarterfinals. The two-time Wimbledon champion next faces either Jil Teichmann of Switzerland or American Alison Riske, who beat Fiona Ferro of France 6-4, 1-6, 6-4 in their first round game on Wednesday.
In another first-round game, Jelena Ostapenko of Latvia eliminated Anna Blinkova of Russia, 6-4, 6-0 to meet fourth-seeded Maria Sakkari of Greece.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Britain, Kazakhstan, Croatia advance at Davis Cup Finals
- At 40, Lopez fills in fine for Nadal, Alcaraz in Davis Cup
- Spain's Alcaraz out of Davis Cup Finals after testing positive for virus
- Ymer brothers help Sweden stun Canada in Davis Cup Finals
- ATP Cup kicks off Australian Open tune-up events Down Under