Tsitsipas to meet Zverev in French Open semis after beating Medvedev
Stefanos Tsitsipas has reached the French Open semifinals for the second year in a row.
The No. 5-seeded Tsitsipas beat No. 2 Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 7-6 (3), 7-5 in Court Philippe Chatrier on Tuesday night.
The 22-year-old from Greece moved into his fourth Grand Slam semifinal. He is 0-3 so far, including a loss at Roland Garros to Novak Djokovic in 2020.
Tsitsipas will face No. 6 Alexander Zverev on Friday for a berth in the final.
Medvedev went up a break in the third set. But Tsitsipas got even and then broke after being down 40-love in the last game to end it. He closed his victory with a passing shot winner off a return when Medvedev went toward the net behind an underarm serve on match point.
- Djokovic not ready to step aside as new generation emerges
- Putin hails Medvedev's 'brilliant' win over Djokovic in US Open final
- Medvedev says celebration was nod to FIFA game
- Serbia cries with Djokovic over lost chance to make history
- Djokovic falls short of historic calendar Slam as Medvedev wins US Open