Report: Astros in market for elite SS
Houston won its fifth division title in six seasons in 2021 and advanced to the World Series for the third time in the last five years. However, starting shortstop Carlos Correa and rotation stalwart Zack Greinke are free agents.
The Astros recently re-signed two-time Cy Young winner Justin Verlander to a one-year, $25-million deal, which appeared to signal their intent to compete, but Correa remains unsigned despite the team's interest.
Astros owner Jim Crane said in October the Astros planned to make a run at re-signing Correa, but the 27-year-old reportedly turned down a five-year, $160-million extension after the season concluded.
- Minoso, Hodges, O'Neil among 6 new inductees to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Manfred's letter should be call for players to dig in
- Report: Blue Jays, Red Sox, Yankees pursuing Seiya Suzuki
- Report: Galvis close to deal with Japan's Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
- Daisuke Matsuzaka surprised by Ichiro during retirement ceremony