New York Jets safety Calvin Pryor was medically cleared to return to practice Monday after suffering a concussion nine days ago, per ESPN. Pryor took part in non-contact drills late last week, but Monday was the first day he was able to fully participate since the concussion.
There was concern last week that Pryor would be unavailable for the Jets' preseason opener Thursday, though head coach Rex Ryan seems optimistic that Pryor can get a least a little work in.
"If he's cleared and he feels good, and he's not at risk, we'll throw him out there some," Ryan said. "It might not be with the [starters], but he needs to get work. As soon as he's ready to go, we'll put him out there."
Pryor said he was a little rusty after missing five practices and an intrasquad scrimmage, but felt no lasting effects from the concussion during his return to contact.
"I wasn't having any symptoms today," Pryor said. "I did a little evaluation on the side, with a little contact, myself and [head trainer] John Mellody. He cleared me to go."
The 18th overall pick in this year's draft, Pryor is expected to start immediately for New York. While the Jets would be wise not to rush him back from a concussion, getting Pryor in the lineup for the preseason as soon as possible is important so that he can be fully prepared for when the games really start to count.