Padres' Johnson to undergo 2nd Tommy John surgery

Apr 23, 5:03 PM

The Padres will be without right-hander Josh Johnson for the remainder of the 2014 season, as the oft-injured 30-year-old will undergo Tommy John surgery on Thursday, the second such procedure of his career.

Johnson, who signed a one-year, $8-million deal with the Padres in November, opened the 2014 campaign on the disabled list with discomfort in his forearm, an ailment that plagued him during his disappointing 2013 season with the Blue Jays. 

Johnson's impending surgery will effectively activate his $4-million team option for 2015, a provision included in Johnson's contract that afforded the Padres an extra year of control should injuries ravage Johnson's 2014 season.

A two-time All-Star, Johnson was limited to 16 starts with the Blue Jays last season and has eclipsed the 100-inning plateau just once since 2011. Johnson previously underwent Tommy John surgery on August 3, 2007.

May 12, 1:41 PM

Padres' Johnson to help out pitching coaches while he rehabs from Tommy John surgery

May 12, 1:41 PM

The San Diego Padres have added an expensive piece to their coaching staff. 

Right-hander Josh Johnson, who signed a one-year, $8-million deal with the Padres in November, has lent his services to pitching coach Darren Balsley and bullpen coach Willie Blair while he rehabs from his second Tommy John surgery. 

"Really, the only thing I can do is help these guys out where I can," Johnson told Corey Brock of MLB.com. "Since the team came back from that last road trip, I have watched pretty much every single bullpen [session]. I will do that again when they come back from this trip, too."

Johnson didn't throw a single pitch in the regular season for the Padres after he went down in late March, but his voluntary assistance has been a welcome addition to the coaching staff. 

"I love it," Balsley said. "This wasn't anything we asked him to do, either. Going back to Spring Training … JJ was the same way, watching other guys pitch in the bullpen. I think part of it is he really wants to be a part of this team. He was really looking forward to pitching here.

"He has been very supportive for the pitchers. I've given him free reign to help out where he sees fit."

Despite having only signed a one-year deal, the Padres could bring Johnson back, as his season-ending surgery triggered a $4-million team option for 2015. 

Feature photo courtesy of Getty/Mike McGinnis

Apr 15, 8:39 PM

Report: Padres' Johnson to visit Dr. Andrews

Apr 15, 8:39 PM

San Diego Padres starting pitcher Josh Johnson will be getting reacquainted with a familiar face.

Dr. Andrews performed Johnson's Tommy John surgery in 2008 and did a clean-up of his elbow last year. Johnson was projected to miss four to five weeks with a forearm strain in mid-March, but he's shown relatively no improvements.

The Padres gambled on Johnson's injury-troubled past, inking him to a one-year, $8 million deal in the offseason. But they did leave themselves an out.  If Johnson makes less than seven starts this season, the team can exercise a $4 million club option for 2015.

Mar 23, 11:00 PM

Report: Padres 'likely won't' pursue pitching help after injury to Josh Johnson

Mar 23, 11:00 PM

Despite offseason acquisition Josh Johnson expected to miss at least the first month of the season due to a right forearm strain, the San Diego Padres don't expect to make a deal for a pitcher. 

Johnson signed a one-year, $8-million deal after a miserable campaign in Toronto and is expected to fill in at the back of the Padres rotation when he returns. 

San Diego is already without left-hander Casey Kelly to begin the season and right-hander Cory Luebke will miss his second straight year after needing reconstructive surgery on his elbow. 

Mar 22, 7:16 PM

Report: Padres' Josh Johnson out 4-5 weeks with right forearm flexor strain

Mar 22, 7:16 PM

San Diego Padres starting pitcher Josh Johnson was diagnosed with a flexor strain in his right forearm Saturday, and the right-hander will be out for at least four-to-five weeks, MLB.com's Corey Brock reports.

Previously looking poised for a bounce back campaign, Johnson will instead open the year on the disabled list, and it sounds like he'll face a battle to debut before the end of April. A four-to-five-week injury would be significant, anyway, but Johnson's extensive history makes this latest issue particularly concerning. 

Owners were obviously prepared to accept some added injury risk with the talented right-hander, but a prolonged absence to start the season wasn't what most had in mind. According to the San Diego Union-Tribune's Dennis Lin, candidates to replace Johnson in the rotation include Robbie Erlin, Donn Roach, Matt Wisler and Jesse Hahn.