Report: Walt Jocketty expected to stay on as Reds GM

Aug 23, 11:04 AM

Cincinnati Reds general manager Walt Jocketty, currently in the last year of his contract, is expected to ink a deal to stay on with the club after this season, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports

There have been some rumblings that Jocketty will look to relocate to Arizona and reunite with newly-minted Diamondbacks chief baseball officer Tony La Russa (Jocketty was GM of the St. Louis Cardinals while La Russa was manager, from 1996-2007), possibly taking up the GM position that many believe Kevin Towers will be removed from at season's end. 

According to Rosenthal, however, there hasn't been any indication that Jocketty wants out of Cincinnati, or that owner Bob Castellini wants him out. 

Jocketty took over as the Reds GM back in 2009, with the team coming off eight straight losing seasons, and by 2010 he'd helped turn them into a playoff team, the first time they'd been there in 15 years. They went on to make it again in 2012 and 2013, though they've yet to win a playoff series during Jocketty's tenure. 

This season, a slew of injuries, notably to first baseman and 2010 MVP Joey Votto, have dragged them to a 10-24 record after the All-Star break, all but sinking a promising campaign. 

Sep 27, 11:03 AM

Reds announce 2-year extension through 2016 with GM Jocketty

Sep 27, 11:03 AM

The Cincinnati Reds are keeping general manager Walt Jocketty in town through 2016.

The club announced a two-year extension for Jocketty, whose contract was set to expire at the end of this season, on Saturday morning. 

"This franchise has had great success under Walt's guidance, and we're delighted he has signed a 2-year extension," Reds president and CEO Bob Castellini said in a statement. 

The Reds have been to the playoffs three times since Jocketty took over as general manager in 2008. We'd call that "great success," too. 

The Reds took a step back this year after winning 90 or more games in 2010, 2012 and 2013. 

Feature photo courtesy of Frank Victores-USA TODAY Sports

Sep 26, 7:07 PM

Reds agree to multi-year extension with GM Walt Jocketty

Sep 26, 7:07 PM

The Cincinnati Reds are bringing back general manager Walt Jocketty, as the two sides agreed to an extension on Friday. 

“Yeah, it’s done. It’s multi-year,” Jocketty told MLB.com. “I’ve got a great relationship with Bob (Castellini, the Reds CEO). In my position, there are two things that are important. You have to have a great relationship with your owner and you have to have a great relationship with your manager. I have that here with both those guys."

Jocketty, who was in the final year of his deal, has been at the helm of the Reds since 2008 and has seen the team reach the postseason in three of those seasons. 

It's been a disappointing year, however, in the Queen City, as the Reds (74-85) are set to record their lowest win total since 2008 - though, it's hardly any fault of Jocketty's. 

The Reds were without Brandon Phillips, Homer Bailey and Joey Votto for the majority of the season and saw Mat Latos and Aroldis Chapman make lengthy stints on the disabled list. 

While Jocketty received an extension and gave a positive endorsement to first-year manager Bryan Price, the rest of the coaching staff may not return next season. 

Feature photo courtesy of USA Today Sports/Steve Mitchell