Fletcher Cox excited to play under Jim Schwartz
While the fifth-year pro will technically be asked to play a different position in 2016, his role will continue to be the same under defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz: getting after the quarterback.
"My role is to get to the quarterback, really," Cox told Alex Marvez and Kirk Morrison on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday. "Play the run on the way to the quarterback. From the way that (coaches) are explaining it, go get the quarterback, create havoc. Negative plays is the biggest thing, and I don't think we had had enough of those last year. I really think that's going to change."
It sounds like Cox's role in Schwartz's 4-3 defense will be similar to the one designed for Ndamukong Suh with the Detroit Lions, making pass rushing from the inside a real priority as the Eagles try to improve upon their 29th-ranked defense in 2016.
Cox, and the rest of the defensive line, are excited to be a part of the new defensive scheme.
"And as far as Jim, with the new defense, I think is going to do a really, really good job this year with everybody. He's got a name for himself with the 4-3 defense, getting after the quarterback and that’s what everybody’s excited to do, especially guys on the D-line."
- Tyreek: Chemistry with Tua will be like Rodman, Carmen Electra
- Report: NFL adamant on indefinite suspension for Watson as hearing concludes
- Cutler rooting for Fields ahead of second season: 'He's the next big thing here'
- Cooper ready to lead Browns' receiving corps: 'That's the position I'm in now'
- Jeudy excited about Broncos' potential with Wilson: 'We've got all the pieces'