Maple Leafs name Mike Babcock head coach; deal reportedly worth around $50M over 8 years
The wait is over.
The deal comes after a crazy morning that reportedly saw a bidding war break out between the Buffalo Sabres and Maple Leafs, after multiple teams dropped out of the Babcock sweepstakes.
TSN's Bob McKenzie tweeted that Babcock may earn as much as $8 million per season in the first three years of the deal, and added that there is no out clause in the contract, as was speculated in the moments after the deal was announced.
With the Maple Leafs signing Babcock, the team will also be forced to give up a third-round pick in the NHL draft to the Red Wings within the next three years.
The Maple Leafs will introduce Babcock at an 11 a.m. ET press conference Thursday.
- Report: Angels agree to 1-year, $1.65M deal with Cimber
- Giants' Jones: Knee surgery limited to ACL
- Fantasy Podcast: Searching for value in risky offenses, bold predictions
- Jaguars' Lawrence making progress, 'hopefully playing' vs. Browns
- NFL playoff picture odds: Who's in, who's out with 5 weeks remaining