MLB, Blue Jays cut ties with Alomar after sexual misconduct investigation
Major League Baseball placed Hall of Famer Roberto Alomar on its ineligible list following an external law firm's investigation into a sexual misconduct allegation, the league announced Friday.
"At my office's request, an independent investigation was conducted by an external legal firm to review an allegation of sexual misconduct by a baseball industry employee earlier this year involving Mr. Alomar in 2014," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.
"Having reviewed all of the available evidence from the now completed investigation, I have concluded that Mr. Alomar violated MLB's policies, and that termination of his consultant contract and placement on MLB's ineligible list are warranted."
Alomar, who was working as a league consultant in Puerto Rico, acknowledged the decision caught him off guard.
"I am disappointed, surprised, and upset with today's news," Alomar said in a statement. "With the current social climate, I understand why Major League Baseball has taken the position they have. My hope is that this allegation can be heard in a venue that will allow me to address the accusation directly."
Following MLB's announcement, the Blue Jays said they're severing all ties with Alomar.
"The Blue Jays are committed to advancing respect and equity in baseball and are taking further action by removing Alomar from the Level of Excellence and taking down his banner at Rogers Centre," the club announced.
Alomar was inducted into Cooperstown in 2011.
"The National Baseball Hall of Fame was shocked and saddened to learn of the news being shared today about Roberto Alomar," chairman of the board Jane Forbes Clark said in a release. "When he was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers' Association of America in the class of 2011, Alomar was an eligible candidate in good standing.
"His plaque will remain on display in the Hall of Fame in recognition of his accomplishments in the game, and his enshrinement reflects his eligibility and the perspective of the BBWAA voters at the time."
Lawyer Lisa Banks, who represents the woman who made the sexual misconduct allegation, said her client was brave to come forward.
"My client has no plans to file a lawsuit or take further action," Banks said in a statement, according to Sportsnet's Shi Davidi.
"She has not exposed Mr. Alomar's behavior for notoriety or for money and looks forward to moving on with her life. She simply wants to ensure that Mr. Alomar is held accountable for his wrongdoing and hopes her actions can help Major League Baseball create a safe workplace for its employees."