Coan named Notre Dame starting QB to begin 2021 season
"Jack proved to be more consistent (of three candidates) and therefore, going into our opener, gives us the best chance for success," head coach Brian Kelly said to The Action Network's Brett McMurphy.
Coan entered the transfer portal in December 2020 after recording 3,278 yards and 23 passing touchdowns against eight interceptions in his career with the Badgers. He did not play in 2020 after injuring his right foot prior to the season.
Coan has big shoes to fill in South Bend, as Ian Book was drafted by the New Orleans Saints after finishing his Notre Dame career with the second-most all-time passing yards for the storied program.
Notre Dame lost to the national champion Crimson Tide in the semis of the College Football Playoff after joining the ACC last season.
- Georgia's Bennett arrested on public intoxication charge
- Report: Harbaugh met with Broncos owner before recommitting to Michigan
- Georgia: SUV in crash was for recruiting, not personal use
- Michigan State players involved in tunnel incident likely to have cases dismissed
- Miami fires OC Gattis after 1 season