Report: Pistons to select Cunningham with No. 1 pick
Members of Detroit's front office traveled to New York on Wednesday and met with Cunningham for a final time before coming to their decision Thursday morning, Wojnarowski adds.
Despite settling on Cunningham with the first pick, Detroit will keep its options open in considering a potential trade, sources told Yahoo's Vince Goodwill.
The news comes days after reports surfaced suggesting the team hadn't yet decided between Cunningham, Jalen Green, and Evan Mobley.
Cunningham has widely been considered the top talent in the 2021 draft since emerging as a bona fide star-in-the-making during his lone season with the Cowboys.
Cunningham averaged 20.1 points, 6.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1.6 steals across 27 games for Oklahoma State during his freshman campaign. The 19-year-old earned Big 12 Player of the Year and consensus first-team All-American honors.
The 2021 NBA Draft is set to take place at 8 p.m. ET Thursday from the Barclays Center in New York City. Everything you need to know about the draft can be found here.
- Top-ranked Gonzaga fully reloaded after run to championship game
- No. 12 Memphis poised to chase title with No. 1 class, vets
- Expectations high at UConn in coach Hurley's 4th season
- Hall of Famer, Olympic coach Wright returns to loaded Villanova
- Beard builds transfer-heavy lineup for debut season at No. 5 Texas