Bucks make Byington NBA's 1st full-time female play-by-play announcer
Byington becomes the first female to occupy the role for a major men's professional sports team in a full-time capacity.
"I'm absolutely thrilled for this opportunity and the ability to work with a first-class franchise and a championship organization like the Milwaukee Bucks," Byington said in a statement.
Byington takes over for longtime play-by-play announcer Jim Paschke, who retired at the end of the 2020-21 season after a 35-year run calling Bucks games.
In March, Byington was the first female to provide play-by-play commentary for the NCAA men's basketball tournament.
"I understand the groundbreaking nature of this hire, and I appreciate the fact that during this process that aspect was addressed, but never made a primary focus," Byington said. "In fact, I applaud the Bucks for taking the first steps toward making hires like this more of the norm in the NBA. Because it's time."
- Nets' Griffin surprised by demotion: 'Whatever coaches see best'
- Bucks sign Cousins to 1-year, reportedly non-guaranteed deal
- Does getting to the rim matter as much as it used to?
- NBA Tuesday best bets: Can Warriors snap Suns' 16-game winning streak?
- NBA Power Rankings: Breaking down red flags and Achilles heels