Skip to content

Carter returns to Yankees 5 days after being DFA'd

Adam Hunger / USA TODAY Sports

It's been quite a week for Chris Carter.

Just five days ago, Carter was designated for assignment by the New York Yankees. On Wednesday afternoon, after going unclaimed on waivers, the 30-year-old accepted an assignment to Triple-A.

But before he could even report to the Scranton-Wilkes/Barre RailRiders, the Yankees surprisingly called Carter back to the big club on Thursday to add some extra depth at first base. Carter is not starting Thursday's game in Chicago but is available to manager Joe Girardi off the bench, according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com.

"It's definitely crazy how this game works," Carter told Hoch.

Carter hit a National League-high 41 homers for the Milwaukee Brewers in 2016, but failed to perform in New York, hitting just .204/.286/.383 with eight home runs and 70 strikeouts in 189 plate appearances. His play had been so poor that in the days before Carter was removed from the Yankees' 40-man roster, general manager Brian Cashman told reporters that Girardi had asked him to find someone else to play first base.

The position has been a black hole for the Yankees this year; in addition to Carter's woes, youngster Greg Bird has struggled mightily when not on the disabled list. Tyler Austin, another option at first base, is likely headed to the DL as part of Thursday's transactions that brought Carter back to the big club, reports Andrew Marchand of ESPN.

In addition to Carter's return, the Yankees also called up outfielder Dustin Fowler - their No. 8 prospect, per MLB Pipeline - from Triple-A. Fowler will make his major-league debut Thursday against the White Sox, batting sixth and playing right field.

New York will reportedly designate Mason Williams for assignment to open a 40-man spot for Carter, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Another spot on the 40-man roster will need to be opened to activate Fowler.

Miguel Andujar, who put together a historic major-league debut Wednesday night as the Yankees' designated hitter, will also be optioned back to the minors Thursday, according to Hoch.

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox