Cubs scratch Hammel with elbow tightness
Friday would have been Hammel's final start of the season, and with only three days remaining, it's unclear if the Cubs intend to fit him in for one last outing before the postseason.
The Cubs also revealed Hammel has been pitching through the tightness recently, which may explain a drastic change in his splits for September. In the last month of the season, Hammel has posted a 8.71 ERA in four starts, while he's crafted a much better 3.83 ERA on the year.
His last start Sept. 24 against the St. Louis Cardinals was his most concerning, however, as the right-hander was pulled after only 2 1/3 innings after allowing six earned runs on six hits.
- Inside pitching coach Wes Johnson's departure and the Twins' trying week
- Cardinals' Arenado records 2nd career cycle in bizarre fashion
- Report: Scherzer treated prospects to $7K dinner, AirPods after his rehab starts
- Padres release City Connect jerseys to celebrate 'binational fanbase'
- Red Sox reliever made two changes to go from mediocre to elite