Juan Martin del Potro admits there is a chance he'll have to step away from tennis for good after suffering the second fracture to his right kneecap in the last year.
The Argentinian star says doctors advised him that surgery was the best option for both his career and long-term health. He will undergo the procedure Saturday in Barcelona.
"As you imagine, this is a tough moment. It's sad to go through all this once again," he said in Spanish in a subtitled video posted on Instagram. "I didn't expect this at all. But well ... It will happen tomorrow. I cannot say anything more than that. I don't know what will happen next.
"Hopefully I will have a good recovery. I hope my knee can heal properly. If that match was the last one of my career, I don't know. During rehab I will be able to think clearly. I will know what my body is able to do."
Del Potro was hurt in his first-round match against Denis Shapovalov at Queen's Club Championship. The 30-year-old suffered the same injury at the Shanghai Masters last October, forcing him to miss the rest of the 2018 schedule, including the ATP Finals.
He has already been officially ruled out for Wimbledon in July.