Sabathia documentary debuting Dec. 22 on HBO
Former major leaguer CC Sabathia will be the subject of a documentary that HBO Sports and Major League Baseball have put together.
"Under the Grapefruit Tree: The CC Sabathia Story" will debut Dec. 22 on HBO, and the film will look at the six-time All-Star pitcher's life before and during his playing career, including behind-the-scenes footage of Sabathia's last campaign with the New York Yankees in 2019.
"I couldn't be more grateful for the chance to give viewers an inside look into my career and to share my unfiltered story," the 40-year-old said, according to an HBO press release. "I struggled for a long time with alcohol addiction and anxiety, which I pretty much hid from everyone I knew.
"It's my hope we can inspire athletes and non-athletes alike to open up and let their friends, family, and teammates know that there is a path through this. You are not alone."
Sabathia ended his career with 251 wins and 3,093 strikeouts over 3,577 1/3 innings while pitching for the Yankees, Cleveland Indians, and Milwaukee Brewers. The 2007 AL Cy Young winner is one of only 18 pitchers in MLB history to strike out 3,000-plus batters.
- Packers debate term 'rebuild' as they adjust to life without Rodgers
- Beeks escapes bases-loaded jam in 9th as Rays beat Cubs to reach 40 wins
- Pats' Slater questions NFL's reasoning for kickoff rule change
- Patriots' Jones: Bill O'Brien doing 'great job' as new OC
- Stanley Cup Final betting preview: Panthers the plus-money play again?