A week after withdrawing from the Travelers Championship because a family member tested positive for coronavirus, Webb Simpson made his return to the PGA Tour with high praise for how the organization is handling the pandemic.
"I applaud the PGA Tour and everything they've done and are doing to keep us safe," Simpson said Wednesday at the Rocket Mortage Classic. "I mentioned to the commissioner last week that based on our numbers, our stats, I told him the safest place anyone can be in the United States right now is on the PGA Tour."
Six players and two caddies have tested positive for COVID-19 since play resumed on June 11 in Fort Worth, Texas, with over 2,000 tests administered.
Simpson believes the positive tests, while limited, have acted as a wake-up call to those associated with the Tour.
"I think guys are so aware of how easy it is to catch this disease that I think everyone else is becoming more strict," he said. "That first week at Colonial there were still fist bumps after the round - closer contact I think on the range or player dining. There's way less of that now. Now, nobody's touching; maybe an elbow here or there. I'm definitely seeing how it's affecting everyone, not just those who have had contact with someone."
Simpson won the RBC Heritage two weeks ago for his second victory of the season and currently sits first in the FedEx Cup standings.