Devils' Tootoo ejected for hitting Islanders' Boychuk from behind
Tootoo received a five-minute major and a game misconduct for sending defenseman Johnny Boychuk head first into the boards with a cross-check during the second period.
Boychuk left for the dressing room in obvious discomfort, but was back on the bench to start the final frame.
The hit will be reviewed by the NHL Department of Player Safety. Tootoo has been suspended twice in his NHL career, including a five-game suspension in 2007 for punching then-Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas.
- Zegras leaves preseason game with upper-body injury
- Forwards Jarnkrok, Kerfoot play defense for injury-riddled Leafs
- Blue Jackets sign Peeke to 3-year extension with $2.75M AAV
- Back with Wild, Fleury welcomes big workload as clear No. 1
- 'We're not planning on just winning one': Avs set to launch Cup defense