VIDEO: Maple Leafs offered 4th overall pick to Blue Jackets at 2015 NHL Draft
Mitchell Marner is proud to be a Toronto Maple Leaf, but a deal that almost happened on the draft floor could have drastically changed his destination.
A video of the Columbus Blue Jackets draft table, released by Jackets TV, shows that the Maple Leafs were willing to part with the No. 4 pick.
The video shows the Maple Leafs offering general manager Jarmo Kekalainen the fourth overall pick in exchange for the eighth overall pick, as well as picks 34, 38, and 58, as long as the Arizona Coyotes didn't pick Noah Hanifin.
The Coyotes ended up selecting Dylan Strome and the Maple Leafs ultimately decided to nab the London Knights' Marner at No. 4. The Blue Jackets on the other hand looked to have big interest in defenseman Zack Werenski, who they eventually picked with the No. 8 pick.
What could have been.
- With h/t to PensionPlanPuppets.com
- Canucks GM: 'I think we can get help on the back end'
- 4 takeaways from Patrick Kane's decision to sign with the Red Wings
- Vilardi miffed with former teammate Lizotte after injury: 'It's a stupid play'
- Kane aiming to make Red Wings debut in next 7-10 days
- Perry becomes free agent after clearing unconditional waivers