Penguins' Crosby diagnosed with mumps
Crosby will miss Monday's game against the Tampa Bay Lightning, but team doctors are hopeful he won't be infectious by Tuesday.
"Crosby will continue to be monitored daily, but specialists believe he should be through the infectious period by Monday," the Penguins said in a statement. "He will not play in Monday's home game against the Tampa Bay Lightning."
The team initially denied that Crosby showed any indication of mumps despite photographic evidence to the contrary. Crosby becomes the 13th player in the NHL to contract mumps this season.
- Report: Sabres unwilling to retain salary in potential Eichel trade
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Vegas' Pacioretty week-to-week with fractured foot
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs
- Maple Leafs' Mrazek to miss 2 weeks with groin injury