Devils' Hischier played all season with chronic hand injury
Doctors determined that the 19-year-old will not require surgery, but he does need to immobilize the affected area for three-to-four weeks.
Despite the injury, Hischier still played all 82 regular-season games - tallying 20 goals and 52 points - and all five playoff games, in which he scored one goal.
In other injury news, the team also announced that forward Pavel Zacha suffered a ligament injury in his right hand toward the end of the season. Like Hischier, Zacha doesn't need surgery, but does require two-to-four weeks of immobilization.
The injuries mean neither player will be available for the upcoming World Championship.
- Ducks' Strome injures Jets' Connor with knee-on-knee hit
- Jackets' Gudbranson will have hearing for altercation with Cousins
- Pickard stands tall vs. Devils to help Oilers win 7th straight game
- Red Wings' Perron to have hearing for cross-checking Sens' Zub
- How the Broad Street Bullies saved the NHL's reputation in 1976