Avalanche GM Sakic would like Ryan O'Reilly 'signed by the start of the season'
Joe Sakic doesn't appear to be picking up the phone quite yet.
"I'd like to have (O'Reilly) signed by the start of the season, hopefully," Sakic said. "I like Ryan a lot. He's a very valuable player. He's part of our core."
This news comes amid reports the Avalanche are willing to listen to trade offers for the 24-year-old center, who has one year and $6 million remaining on his contract before unrestricted free agency kicks in next summer.
Matt Duchene is already locked in long-term at center, with Nathan MacKinnon hitting restricted free agency after next season. A big extension for O'Reilly, therefore, would tie up significant cap space at one position.
O'Reilly recorded 17 goals and 38 assists last season, with a Corsi For rating of 49.
- Astros' Alvarez, Pena leave with apparent injuries after collision
- Report: Oilers among teams expected to target Husso in free agency
- Yankees set MLB record for most homers in June
- Herbert striving for consistency: 'We have to put together a full season'
- Report: NBA salary cap will jump to $123.6 million for 2022-23