Report: Cubs land Swanson on 7-year, $177M deal
The Windy City has a new baseball star.
Swanson's pact includes a no-trade clause and has no opt-outs, per Sherman.
The reported addition of Swanson will move Nico Hoerner to second base.
Chicago will surrender its second-highest pick and have its international signing bonus pool reduced by $500,000 because Swanson received a qualifying offer.
Swanson is coming off a career year that saw him selected to his first Midsummer Classic after posting a 6.4 fWAR. The 28-year-old also collected a Gold Glove. He's gone deep at least 25 times in back-to-back campaigns and brings a championship pedigree from his time with the Atlanta Braves.
This is the second consecutive offseason the Braves have lost a key member of their 2021 World Series-winning club after Freddie Freeman signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers in March. Atlanta will get a compensatory draft selection for losing Swanson.
The Braves and Boston Red Sox were also reportedly interested in Swanson.
- Panthers' Burns lauds interim coach Tabor: 'Can tell he's about business'
- Hill? Watt? Bland? Why this could be the year to crown an unusual NFL MVP
- Examining the Penguins' struggling power play, and other unexpected NHL trends
- Durant moves into 10th on NBA's all-time scoring list in loss to Nuggets
- Tatum ejected as Celtics edge shorthanded 76ers