The New York Mets and manager Carlos Beltran have mutually agreed to part ways following the revelation of his role in the Houston Astros' 2017 sign-stealing scandal, according to a team announcement.
"We met with Carlos last night and again this morning and agreed to mutually part ways," the statement from COO Jeff Wilpon and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen read. "This was not an easy decision. Considering the circumstances, it became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone's best interest for Carlos to move forward as manager of the New York Mets. We believe that Carlos was honest and forthcoming with us. We are confident that this will not be the final chapter in his baseball career. We remain excited about the talent on this team and are committed to reaching our goals of winning now and in the future."
Beltran also released a statement through the Mets: "I'm grateful to them for giving me the opportunity, but we agreed this decision is in the best interest of the team. I couldn't let myself be a distraction for the team. I wish the entire organization success in the future."
The 42-year-old was the only player named in MLB's investigation. The report led to the suspensions and eventual firings of Houston manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow.
The Mets were unaware of the Astros' situation when they hired Beltran, Van Wagenen said, according to Mike Puma of the New York Post.
"Over my 20 years in the game, I've always taken pride in being a leader and doing things the right way, and in this situation, I failed," Beltran told ESPN's Marly Rivera in a secondary statement. "As a veteran player on the team, I should've recognized the severity of the issue and truly regret the actions that were taken. I am a man of faith and integrity and what took place did not demonstrate those characteristics that are so very important to me and my family. I'm very sorry. It's not who I am as a father, a husband, a teammate, and as an educator. The Mets organization and I mutually agreed to part ways, moving forward for the greater good with no further distractions. I hope that at some point in time, I'll have the opportunity to return to this game that I love so much."
Beltran is the third manager out of a job this week due to the investigation. Along with Hinch, Alex Cora and the Boston Red Sox mutually decided to part ways on Tuesday.
Beltran was hired by the Mets in November and never managed a game.
The former big leaguer played in the majors for 20 years before retiring following the Astros' World Series win in 2017. Seven of those seasons came with the Mets.
Mets quality control coach Luis Rojas is under consideration for the managerial vacancy, sources told Rosenthal.
The team's bench coach Hensley Meulens and ESPN analyst Eduardo Perez, who both previously interviewed for the job, are also among the candidates to replace Beltran, reports Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY Sports.