L.A. Olympic bid board includes Magic, Buss, Ballmer, Dr. Dre
Los Angeles wants the 2024 Summer Olympics, so the group behind the bid is breaking out the city's star power in terms of movers and shakers in sports and entertainment.
The Lakers braintrust of Jeanie Buss and Magic Johnson both sit on the recently announced board of directors for LA 2024, as does Clippers owner Steve Ballmer. The NBA world is further represented by former player Jason Collins, as well as Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and Atlanta Hawks owner Tony Ressler.
In all, the board contains 117 people. Other luminaries include rap legend Dr. Dre and Hollywood heavyweights Bob Iger, James Murdoch, and David Geffen.
Los Angeles and Paris are the only two cities left in the running for the 2024 Games. The winning bid will be announced in September.
- Report: Irving not at media day due to health and safety protocols
- Nuggets ink Porter to 5-year max extension
- Towns 'still dealing with a lot of shit' after COVID-19 struggles
- Zion underwent foot surgery, likely ready for start of season
- Grizzlies' Morant, Bane considered family, others when getting vaccine