Dr. J will coach in BIG3
Another big name is making his way to the BIG3.
Julius Erving will serve as a head coach for one of the eight teams in rapper Ice Cube's new three-on-three league.
The 67-year-old Hall of Famer joins a group of retired NBAers that includes player-coaches Allen Iverson and Charles Oakley. Jermaine O'Neal, Kenyon Martin, Rashard Lewis, and Jason Williams are among those headlining the five-man rosters, which will round out during next month's draft.
Dr. J dominated the hardwood in the 70s and 80s with his prolific scoring and rebounding. The iconic high-flyer racked up three championships, four MVPs, and more than 30,000 points over 16 campaigns in the ABA and NBA.
Since hanging up his sneakers for good in 1987, Erving has worked as a TV analyst and NBA front-office executive.
The BIG3 will kick off its inaugural season June 25 at Barclays Center.
- Haliburton's career night pushes Pacers past Celtics to reach tourney semis
- Pelicans pull away from Kings to secure In-Season Tournament semifinal berth
- Harden: Morey, 76ers said max contract was coming
- Stock Watch: What's trending in the NBA
- theScore's 50 favorite moments of 2023: Mahomes, miracles, and a fiery escape