White: Ngannou-Rozenstruik could happen at UFC 249
Mike Lawrie / Getty Images Sport / Getty

A main event that was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic could find a new home at UFC 249.

The promotion is working on booking Francis Ngannou versus Jairzinho Rozenstruik for the April 18 pay-per-view card, UFC president Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto on Wednesday.

White said UFC 249, which will be headlined by Khabib Nurmagomedov versus Tony Ferguson, will likely feature several new bouts. It's unclear what will happen to the current lineup. A new location for the event has almost been locked in, White said Monday.

"We're trying to build the baddest card that's ever been done in the history of the sport," White told Okamoto.

Ngannou-Rozenstruik was originally slated to headline UFC Columbus on March 28, but it was one of the three shows the company was forced to call off in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Since then, White has been adamant that the UFC will resume operations as soon as possible, starting with UFC 249. He told Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole that the plan is to move forward with all scheduled events after April 18 - but that they could move locations or take place in empty venues.

Ngannou, a top heavyweight contender, echoed what White said regarding him competing at UFC 249.

"There is a chance that I can be fighting on that card," he told Submission Radio. "But they have to settle everything down. For now, it seems like they have a location, but they still have to double-check and see how they can handle this event safely for people."

Ngannou told Okamoto that the UFC got him tested for the coronavirus last week. The results were negative.

Comments
White: Ngannou-Rozenstruik could happen at UFC 249
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox