Conor McGregor has apologized for punching an older man in a Dublin bar in April, calling his behavior "unacceptable" during an interview Thursday with ESPN's Ariel Helwani, according to Marc Raimondi.
"I was in the wrong," McGregor said. "That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. ... I tried to make amends and I made amends back then. But it doesn't matter. I was in the wrong. I must come here before you and take accountability and take responsibility.
"I owe it to the people that have been supporting me. I owe it to my mother, my father, my family. I owe it to the people who trained me in martial arts. That's not who I am. That's not the reason why I got into martial arts or studying combat sports. The reason I got into it was to defend against that type of scenario."
CCTV footage of the April 6 incident surfaced last week, which has led to police in Ireland opening an investigation.
McGregor said watching the video was "like a dagger into my heart" and that he's ready to face the consequences of his actions.
"Whatever comes my way, I will face it," McGregor said. "Whatever comes my way, I deserve it. I will face this head on. I will not hide from it. I was in the wrong. It was completely unacceptable behavior for a man in my position."
The former two-division UFC champion revealed he was set to return in July at Madison Square Garden, with Justin Gaethje his likely opponent.
However, McGregor said a broken left hand he suffered in May nixed his comeback. The 31-year-old hasn't fought since losing to lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018.
While the Irishman isn't targeting any specific opponent for his next bout, he said he was inspired by rival Nate Diaz's triumphant return at UFC 241 last weekend and is hoping for a similarly successful comeback.
"Mine is gonna be the greatest one of all," McGregor said.