Scherzer starting vs. Phillies amid growing trade speculation
Scherzer was scratched from his last start with triceps discomfort and has been involved in trade rumors ahead of Friday's deadline.
The Nationals ace is reportedly the target of several clubs, including the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, and San Diego Padres.
Nationals manager Dave Martinez said it could be tough to remove Scherzer from Thursday's game if he's traded mid-start, according to Maria Torres of The Athletic.
Washington and Philadelphia are playing a doubleheader on Thursday due to the Nationals' COVID-19 outbreak, which caused Wednesday's game to be postponed.
- Roberts: Urias was best option in 8th, still slated to start Game 4
- MLB teams to provide housing for minor leaguers next year
- Report: Shildt expected to interview for Padres' manager job
- Are the Giants a one-hit wonder or a sustainable success story?
- Justin Turner scratched from Dodgers' Game 2 lineup with neck stinger