Report: Cubs interested in veteran catcher Jason Castro

Ronald Martinez / Getty Images Sport / Getty

The Chicago Cubs are showing interest in veteran free-agent catcher Jason Castro, sources told Patrick Mooney of The Athletic.

Castro would presumably replace Victor Caratini - who was traded to the San Diego Padres on Tuesday along with right-hander Yu Darvish - as the Cubs' backup catcher next year, behind starter Willson Contreras.

Caratini's departure left the Cubs with just two catchers - Contreras and prospect Miguel Amaya - on their 40-man roster. While the team thinks highly of Amaya, president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer said Wednesday the 21-year-old is unlikely to start the season in the majors, according to Mooney.

Castro could also potentially step in and start if the Cubs were to deal Contreras this winter. It seems unlikely he'll be traded, though; Hoyer debunked a rumor that suggested the two-time All-Star is being shopped, and said they plan to field a "really competitive team" in 2021.

Castro, a 10-year veteran, slashed .188/.293/.375 with two homers and nine RBIs across 27 games in 2020 with the Los Angeles Angels and San Diego Padres. He was a backup on both teams.

The 33-year-old has also drawn interest from one of his former teams this offseason, the Houston Astros.

It was reported last week that Houston and Castro were in serious talks. While the sides are still talking, a reunion is no longer a sure thing, sources told Robert Murray of FanSided.

Comments
Report: Cubs interested in veteran catcher Jason Castro
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox