Blue Jays prospect Bichette suffers broken hand following HBP
Bichette, the 10th-best prospect in baseball, according to MLB Pipeline, was hit by a pitch during a Triple-A game Monday.
The 21-year-old was off to a slow start for the Buffalo Bisons in 2019, slashing .250/.310/.404 in 14 games with one home run and eight RBIs. However, he tore up spring training, clubbing four homers and recording a 1.260 OPS in 39 at-bats.
The injury occurred when Bichette was beginning to heat up. He's fresh off an eight-game hitting streak, a stretch when he reached base 13 times.
Blue Jays right-hander Marcus Stroman supported the young infielder on Twitter once news of the injury surfaced.
Toronto selected Bichette in the second round of the 2016 MLB Draft.
- Pujols reflects on 1st career pitching appearance: 'A dream come true'
- Pirates beat Reds without registering hit
- Cardinals' Wainwright, Molina become winningest battery in MLB history
- The Yankees are pitching as well as they ever have - and they can keep it up
- World Series odds update: Which teams are trending up, down after 1st month?