James' clout, coupled with his tense relationship with his former head coach, led many to believe it was James who orchestrated the rude dismissal of David Blatt.
Speaking for the first time since the firing, however, James called the move unfortunate and said he was "surprised and caught off-guard."
While it's easy to assume James played at least some role in Blatt's firing, the four-time MVP isn't concerned about the rumor mill.
"For me, I can't get caught up and worried about what other people are thinking," James said, as relayed by ESPN. "I stopped doing that a long time ago in my career. ... The only thing I can worry about is how I can get these guys better prepared and we can play better basketball."
James might not care what people think, but it's already out there. When it comes to the Cavaliers, James clearly holds considerable sway within the organization, with some believing he's the ultimate decision-maker.
- Cavaliers fire head coach David Blatt, promote Tyronn Lue
- PHOTO: Tyronn Lue steps over David Blatt in recreation of AI's moment
- Report: LeBron, agent wanted Tyronn Lue as head coach since last season
- Report: Cavaliers sign Tyronn Lue to 3-year deal
- David Blatt: 'I am proud of what we have accomplished'
- 3 teams that could hire David Blatt
- Blatt's bizarre firing, and good not being good enough for King James
- Report: Some Cavs players thought Kevin Love was being traded
- The best sound bites from Cavs GM David Griffin's press conference
- Carlisle 'embarrassed for our league' after Blatt's dismissal
- Lue eligible to coach East All-Stars, adding another twist to bizarre saga
- Ex-Cavs center Haywood: Blatt was 'very hesitant to challenge LeBron'
- Report: Blatt lost respect of Cavs players, was almost fired in December
- Report: LeBron, agent lobbied for Mark Jackson as Cavs coach, settled for Lue
- Report: Blatt drew up plays for players who weren't in the game
- Tyronn Lue says he'll coach 'better' than Blatt
- Lue can best Blatt by better utilizing Kevin Love
- LeBron: 'I can't get caught up in worrying about what other people think'
- Although not possible, Lue says Blatt should coach All-Stars