Change is afoot in The Land.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have dismissed head coach David Blatt, the team confirmed Friday afternoon.
The story was first reported by Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.
"When you have the clarity of purpose that we have as a franchise, these decisions make themselves," Cavs GM David Griffin told reporters at a news conference.
His replacement will be former assistant Tyronn Lue, who signed a multi-year deal to be Cleveland's head coach, according to Wojnarowski's sources.
Blatt led the Cavaliers to a 53-win season and a Finals appearance in his first year as head coach. They're on pace to win 60 games this year, but an 0-3 record against the Warriors and Spurs have the team a tier below the league's elite.
The players might not have seen eye to eye with Blatt. As USA Today's Sam Amick reports, there was a disconnect with him that wasn't quite there with Lue.
In retrospect, Lue was always something of a large looming figure behind Blatt. He left a strong impression on the Cavaliers when he interviewed for the vacancy last summer, and, after the team hired Blatt, was still brought on as the league's most expensive assistant.
Reports also indicated that Lue would occasionally call timeouts behind Blatt's back.
- Cavaliers fire head coach David Blatt, promote Tyronn Lue
- PHOTO: Tyronn Lue steps over David Blatt in recreation of AI's moment
- Report: LeBron, agent wanted Tyronn Lue as head coach since last season
- Report: Cavaliers sign Tyronn Lue to 3-year deal
- David Blatt: 'I am proud of what we have accomplished'
- 3 teams that could hire David Blatt
- Blatt's bizarre firing, and good not being good enough for King James
- Report: Some Cavs players thought Kevin Love was being traded
- The best sound bites from Cavs GM David Griffin's press conference
- Carlisle 'embarrassed for our league' after Blatt's dismissal
- Lue eligible to coach East All-Stars, adding another twist to bizarre saga
- Ex-Cavs center Haywood: Blatt was 'very hesitant to challenge LeBron'
- Report: Blatt lost respect of Cavs players, was almost fired in December
- Report: LeBron, agent lobbied for Mark Jackson as Cavs coach, settled for Lue
- Report: Blatt drew up plays for players who weren't in the game
- Tyronn Lue says he'll coach 'better' than Blatt
- Lue can best Blatt by better utilizing Kevin Love
- LeBron: 'I can't get caught up in worrying about what other people think'
- Although not possible, Lue says Blatt should coach All-Stars