Three South American tennis players cleared after doping probe of contaminated meat
LONDON (AP) — Three tennis players from South America can resume their careers after being cleared by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) following a doping investigation involving contaminated meat.
Conner Huertas del Pino (Peru), Mateo Barreiros Reyes (Brazil) and Andrés Urrea (Colombia) all tested positive for prohibited anabolic steroid boldenone while competing at an ATP Challenger event in Bogota, Colombia, in May last year.
The ITIA said the players had unintentionally consumed contaminated meat and that they provided evidence and documentation to support their case, including detailed receipts and information on the source of meat consumed during the tournament.
The ITIA announced its findings on Wednesday.
___
AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis
HEADLINES
- Tennis participation reaches new high in USA, says association
- Pegula leading efforts to improve the women's tennis calendar
- Serena is soon eligible for tennis comeback. It's unclear if she'll do it
- Understated triumph: Rybakina wins Australian Open with calm precision
- Rybakina takes down No. 1 Sabalenka to win Aussie Open title