Boulter upsets Pliskova on Centre Court
Katie Boulter upset 2021 Wimbledon runner-up Karolina Pliskova to reach the third round of a Grand Slam tournament for the first time.
The 118th-ranked British player rallied to win 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4 against the hard-serving Pliskova, who lost last year’s final to Ash Barty.
The 25-year-old Boulter also beat Pliskova last week at a warmup tournament in Eastbourne for her first win against a top-10 player. She broke for a 5-4 lead in the final set and converted her first match point with a volley winner.
Pliskova’s powerful serve looked far from its best throughout the match as she mixed 13 aces with eight double-faults and was broken four times.
- Halep beats Haddad Maia to capture her 3rd National Bank Open title
- WTA's next generation already shining as Serena exits spotlight
- Serena Williams' Cincinnati opener pushed back to Tuesday
- Serena to face US Open champ Raducanu at Western & Southern Open
- Serena loses 1st match since saying she's prepared to retire