Ostrava Open roundup: Top-seeded Swiatek leads march to semifinals
OSTRAVA, Czech Republic (AP) — Top-seeded Iga Swiatek of Poland advanced to the semifinals of the Ostrava Open on Friday after beating seventh-seeded Elena Rybakina of Kazakhstan 7-6 (5), 6-2.
The 2020 French Open champion reached her first semifinals since winning in Rome in May to set up a match against fourth-seeded Maria Sakkari
The Greek eliminated Czech wild-card entry Tereza Martincova 7-5, 6-3 in the quarterfinals. Sakkari will be playing in her sixth semifinal of the season.
Also, second-seeded Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic knocked out Jil Teichmann of Switzerland in straight sets — 6-4, 6-4 — hitting 24 winners on the way.
In the last quarterfinal, Anett Kontaveit of Estonia upset third-seeded Belinda Bencic 6-4, 6-3. Kontaveit next plays two-time Wimbledon champion Kvitova.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Former British No. 1 Konta announces retirement from tennis
- WTA remains 'concerned' about Peng Shuai's ability to speak freely
- Federer concerned over Peng Shuai's status: 'I hope she's safe'
- Unvaccinated players not allowed to compete at Australian Open
- Where is Peng Shuai? And why isn't the IOC speaking out?