LSU-Iowa women's title game draws record 9.9M viewers
An average of 9.9 million viewers tuned in to the LSU-Iowa game, making it the most-watched NCAA women's basketball final on record, ESPN announced Monday. Viewership peaked at 12.6 million and was up 103% from last year's championship game.
The LSU-Iowa game broke the previous record of 8.1 million viewers, set in 1992 for a Virginia-Stanford national semifinal on CBS, according to Sports Media Watch. Sunday's matchup also had nearly double the viewership as the Iowa-South Carolina semifinal game on Friday, which was ESPN's most-watched semifinal with 5.5 million viewers.
LSU defeated Iowa 102-85 to capture its first basketball title in school history.
- Caitlin Clark savoring circus atmosphere as she nears Division I scoring record
- Rivers helps No. 5 North Carolina State beat Vanderbilt
- LSU's Angel Reese back with No. 7 Tigers after 4-game absence
- Jones' career day lifts No. 10 Texas to comfortable win over Oral Roberts
- Watkins scores 30 points for record 4th 30-point game as No. 6 USC routs Cal Poly