Major League Soccer laid off 20% of its full-time staff Thursday as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic, a source told ESPN's Jeff Carlisle.
The layoffs affected just under 70 of the league's 300 employees, according to Carlisle.
MLS commissioner Don Garber previously anticipated $1 billion in losses because of the health crisis. In an effort to combat the financial effects of the pandemic, league officials, including Garber, agreed to slash their wages, while players reportedly accepted a 7.5% pay cut as part of the new collective bargaining agreement.
MLS suspended play March 12 and returned in July with the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando. All games were played within a bubble at the Walt Disney World Resort.
The regular season resumed in August with games played in local markets. Though the league was able to satisfy some of its broadcasting commitments, it ultimately lost significant sums in regular matchday revenue, as the majority of games took place behind closed doors.
"When we lose the ability to sell tickets and we lose the ability to have any hospitality and other game day stadium revenues ... today that is on hold. And we really don't know what it's going to look like, going forward," Garber said in June.