Persons propels Ball State past Stony Brook in home opener
MUNCIE, Ind. (AP) Tayler Persons poured in 29 points on 12-of-18 shooting and keyed a late run as Ball State rallied to defeat Stony Brook 87-76 in their home opener on Friday night.
The Cardinals (1-2) were clinging to a 67-64 lead when Persons got hot. The junior guard, who also grabbed six rebounds, hit two 3-pointers and scored 10 of Ball State's next 12 points to increase the Cardinals' lead to 79-69. The Seawolves (0-3) got no closer than five points over the final 2:29.
Freshman Kyle Mallers scored 16 and Tahjai Teague contributed 13 points, six rebounds and five steals for Ball State, which trailed 42-34 at halftime.
U.C. Iroegbu scored 18 and Junior Saintel notched a double-double - 16 points, 10 rebounds - for the Seawolves. Akwasi Yeboah added 15 points, five boards and four assists.
Ball State shot 50.9 percent from the floor, connecting on 27 of 53 shots, but just 6 of 18 (33 percent) from 3-point range. Stony Brook connected on 24 of 57 shots (42.1 percent), including 10 of 27 (37 percent) from long range.
Stony Brook controlled the boards 38-29 in the first meeting between the schools.
- Leyland touched by tributes from across baseball after HOF election
- 76ers' Kelly Oubre Jr. scoffs at questions about legitimacy of his injury
- Fantasy Podcast: 15 new injuries that will impact your playoff chances
- Report: 4-5 teams showing strong interest in Rays' Glasnow
- Gloria Allred representing family involved with Josh Giddey case