Northern Kentucky tops JMU in Island of the Bahamas Showcase
NASSAU, Bahamas (AP) Lavone Holland II made four 3-pointers and scored 24 points to help Northern Kentucky hold off James Madison 87-78 on Friday in opening round of the Island of the Bahamas Showcase.
Northern Kentucky had a 21-11 lead midway through the first half and extended its advantage to 44-24 at the break. The Norse led by as many as 25 points in the second half, but JMU rallied within six points with 41 seconds to go.
NKU's Carson Williams made 1 of 2 free throws with 27 seconds remaining, blocked a shot at the other end and Holland sealed it with two makes at the foul line.
Jordan Garnett and Jalen Tate each added 15 points for Northern Kentucky (3-0). Williams scored 12 and Drew McDonald 11.
Stuckey Mosley led James Madison (1-2) with 20 points and four 3-pointers. Joey McLean added 14 points and Ramone Snowden 10.
- Brind'Amour roasts Canes' effort vs. Oilers: Top players 'gotta show up'
- Report: Nationals sign former top prospect Senzel to 1-year, $2M deal
- Padres' Preller: Trading a player of Soto's caliber was 'very difficult'
- NBA Power Rankings: Each team's biggest cause for concern
- Norris Trophy Rankings: It's a 2-horse race between Makar, Hughes