Capitals' Orpik scores 1st career game-winner vs. Devils
Veteran defenseman Brooks Orpik's late third-period goal was just his fourth tally since 2012, and marked the first game-winner of his career in his 798th game. His teammates were clearly thrilled, as captain Alex Ovechkin jumped in the air after Orpik scored.
"His celly was pretty amazing," Ovechkin quipped after the game.
With an earlier assist, Saturday marked Orpik's first two-point game with a goal since November 2008, according to Sports Illustrated's Alex Prewitt.
"It gives you confidence when you come back against - I think - statistically the best defensive team," Orpik said of the Devils, who have now lost three consecutive games against Metropolitan Division opponents.
- Bolts deal McDonagh to Preds, agent calls client's departure 'crushing'
- Boeser opens up about last season's struggles, eager to bounce back
- Jackets GM: Laine's contract status won't affect draft weekend plans
- Jets officially name Rick Bowness head coach
- Report: Flyers prospect detained for planning to evade military service