Report: Capitals invite Derek Roy to training camp on professional tryout
The Washington Capitals are calling in reinforcements for training camp.
The invite comes shortly after head coach Barry Trotz said he doesn't anticipate seeing center Nicklas Backstrom - who's recovering from offseason hip surgery - during the preseason, creating a need for an extra body in camp.
Last month, Roy's agent said he couldn't believe his client remained unsigned. While this isn't quite what he was after, Roy's one step closer to his next NHL job, whether in Washington or elsewhere, should he put in a good showing at camp.
In 738 career games, Roy has recorded 189 goals and 524 points.
- Capitals' Orlov suspended 2 games for kneeing Jets' Ehlers
- Canadiens' new GM envisions building fast, offensive-minded team
- DeBoer on Eichel ramping up, Stephenson's growth, and Vegas' resilience
- Hurricanes roast Marchand, Bruins on Twitter after blowout win
- NHL Wednesday best bets: Dealing with the Devils