VIDEO: 'Let's go Islanders' chant breaks out as Billy Joel closes out Nassau Coliseum
Billy Joel was in a New York state of mind as he was bestowed the honor of playing the final concert at the old Nassau Coliseum on Tuesday.
During the show, the Bronx native was joined by Paul Simon, who made reference to the New York Islanders, the arena's former tenants, who will now call Brooklyn home.
A "Let's go Islanders" chant broke out while Simon - who was booed for admitting to being a New York Rangers fan - lamented the move and compared it to the Brooklyn Dodgers moving to ... San Francisco?
While the geography may be off, the sentiment clearly rang true for those in attendance.
The Coliseum will undergo a partial demolition and significant renovations, and the Islanders will always be remembered for starting the fire - of hockey fandom - on the Island.
- With h/t to Eye on Hockey
- Mikheyev has 'no complaints' about Canucks' handling of season-ending ACL injury
- Blue Jackets claim Pederson off waivers from Canucks
- A radical remodel of local sports TV may come sooner than expected
- Horvat's 4-point night propels Canucks past Blue Jackets
- Flames rebound from ugly loss with impressive win vs. Kraken