Canadiens honor Jean Beliveau with touching pregame tribute
The ceremony itself was gorgeous, simple and incredibly moving:
The ceremony included this tough, emotional moment as Beliveau's wife, Elise, reacts to seeing her husband honored:
During the game the team left the spotlight on Beliveau's seat:
The Canadiens even listed their attendance at 21,286 on Tuesday night according to Ken Campbell of The Hockey News, which is one short of a sellout. The empty seat was obviously Beliveau's.
So the club purposely ended a sellout streak that was approaching 400 games, according to Sportsnet's Ticker. They did so in order to mark the occasion on Tuesday night. Tradition, class and pageantry is all about the small details.
Rest in peace, No. 4.
- Coyotes hammer Capitals to complete 5-game win streak vs. recent champs
- Report: 2024-25 NHL salary cap projected to be $87.7M
- Vasilevskiy's 1st shutout of season helps Bolts end 4-game skid vs. Stars
- NHL Power Rankings: Each team's biggest surprise so far
- Brossoit's 42-save effort propels Jets to victory over Hurricanes