Report: NHL planning 2 outdoor games at Lake Tahoe in February
The NHL plans to stage a two-game "Outdoor Weekend" showcase at Lake Tahoe in Nevada during the 2020-21 season, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.
Both games will reportedly take place at Edgewood Tahoe Resort, which hosts a popular celebrity golf tournament, and will be played around the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes.
Fans will not be permitted to attend the event, which will be limited to about 400 people including players, team staff, and workers, notes Friedman. He adds that this will give TV broadcasters a unique opportunity to use devices such as drone cameras during game coverage.
The NHL has reportedly been looking to stage an event at an aesthetically pleasing venue during an unusual season. Lake Louise in Alberta was one option that was considered, according to Friedman, as was Park City, Utah.
- Penguins to start with Karlsson, Letang on top power-play unit
- Matthews willing to embrace bigger role on penalty kill
- Coyotes' Keller: Cooley's dazzling goal 'the best I've ever seen'
- Leafs' Robertson: 'I don't give a f--k' that my name isn't what it once was
- Stone eager to start Cup defense: 'I hope people write us off'