James and his agent had been strong advocates for Lue since last season, league sources told Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.
Lue joined Cleveland as the team's associate head coach in June 2014, just a couple months before James re-joined the Cavaliers.
Although multiple reports indicate James was not consulted on the decision to hire Blatt, his support for Lue appears to have been taken into consideration.
James was reportedly not the only player to prefer Lue to Blatt, as Sam Amick of USA TODAY Sports indicates there was "buzz" that several Cavaliers "were done with Blatt."
Amick adds that Blatt's frequent unwillingness to challenge the four-time MVP was also a factor in his downfall.
- Cavaliers fire head coach David Blatt, promote Tyronn Lue
- PHOTO: Tyronn Lue steps over David Blatt in recreation of AI's moment
- Report: LeBron, agent wanted Tyronn Lue as head coach since last season
- Report: Cavaliers sign Tyronn Lue to 3-year deal
- David Blatt: 'I am proud of what we have accomplished'
- 3 teams that could hire David Blatt
- Blatt's bizarre firing, and good not being good enough for King James
- Report: Some Cavs players thought Kevin Love was being traded
- The best sound bites from Cavs GM David Griffin's press conference
- Carlisle 'embarrassed for our league' after Blatt's dismissal
- Lue eligible to coach East All-Stars, adding another twist to bizarre saga
- Ex-Cavs center Haywood: Blatt was 'very hesitant to challenge LeBron'
- Report: Blatt lost respect of Cavs players, was almost fired in December
- Report: LeBron, agent lobbied for Mark Jackson as Cavs coach, settled for Lue
- Report: Blatt drew up plays for players who weren't in the game
- Tyronn Lue says he'll coach 'better' than Blatt
- Lue can best Blatt by better utilizing Kevin Love
- LeBron: 'I can't get caught up in worrying about what other people think'
- Although not possible, Lue says Blatt should coach All-Stars