Flames trade David Jones to Wild for Niklas Backstrom, late pick
Three hours after the trade deadline came and went, there was still one more deal on the docket.
"As much as I love Calgary and my teammates, I think this situation for me is great," Jones said of joining the Wild, who are currently two points out of a playoff spot and 10 points ahead of the Flames, who have two games in hand on Minnesota.
Backstrom hasn't played an NHL game this season. The 38-year-old former Wild starter leaves Minnesota as the franchise leader in games played by a goaltender (409), wins (194), and shutouts (28).
The Flames take on Backstrom's $3.42-million cap hit this season, while the Wild absorb Jones' $4-million hit. Both players are pending unrestricted free agents.
- Rodgers says once he retires, he won't make any comeback
- NBA Podcast: Harden to Philly? Plus Bulls injuries and Mavs' defense
- Brown: Bucs offered me $200K to seek mental health treatment
- 'Old Man' Love relishing reserve role with rising Cavaliers
- Report: MLB, MLBPA make progress on minimum salary, pre-arbitration bonus pool