Nationals' Scherzer issues 1st walk in more than a month, snapping 39 2/3 innings streak
Scherzer, who owns a career-best 10.71 strikeout-to-walk rate this season, would load the bases in the inning before striking out Yasiel Puig with a 95-mph fastball.
The three-time All-Star's streak began in the ninth inning of a June 14 start and spanned parts of seven outings. During that time, Scherzer struck out 42, tossed a no-hitter and threw two complete games.
- Thunder ink Gilgeous-Alexander to 5-year, $172M extension
- Holmes staying with Kings on 4-year contract worth up to $55M
- Doncic, Slovenia move into Olympic basketball semifinals
- Watch: Praying mantis, cat invade field at same time in 2 MLB games
- Yankees' Cole tests positive for COVID-19, won't start Tuesday