Benches clear in Cubs-Reds game as Garrett, Baez have shouting match
Immediately following Rizzo's strikeout, Garrett seemed to gloat before turning to the opposing dugout and yelling.
"That's his style," Cubs manager David Ross said of Garrett following the game, according to Gordon Wittenmyer of NBC Chicago. "I don't agree with it. I think it's garbage."
"I'm just tired of it," Baez added, according to Jesse Rogers of ESPN. "If you really want to fight, we'll go one on one."
This isn't the first time things have become heated between Garrett and Baez on the field.
In 2018, the division rivals emptied the benches after the reliever struck out Baez and proceeded to stare him down. No punches were thrown, and no suspensions were handed out.
However, Garrett has been suspended previously, receiving an eight-game ban for his role in a benches-clearing brawl with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2019. Seven others were also suspended, and Pirates reliever Keone Kela was the only player who was given a longer punishment than Garrett.
- Fantasy Podcast: Bold predictions for rest of season, Week 8 preview
- NBA Podcast: Observations from first week of the season
- Report: Saints reacquire Ingram from Texans
- Report: Embiid playing through injury to make up for Simmons' absence
- Tua ignoring rumors: 'I don't even know when the trade deadline is'