Tony Hawk shares story of scrapped skateboarding 'Space Jam' sequel
Skateboarding legend Tony Hawk nearly starred in a sequel to Michael Jordan's "Space Jam," but the project was dropped due to another Looney Tunes movie's box office failure.
As Hawk recalled Sunday on Instagram Live, Warner Bros. called his agent in 2003 with a pitch for a movie called "Skate Jam," featuring him and the Looney Tunes cast. The 52-year-old said he met with the producers before leaving on a trip to Australia and was sold on doing the movie.
Hawk was told the plan was to "Skate Jam" release after "Looney Tunes: Back in Action," the 2003 live-action/animated movie starring Brendan Fraser. However, he never heard back from Warner Bros. after returning from Australia.
"'Skate Jam' died on the vine," Hawk said. "And I came home and they actually didn't return any calls. I mean, it was very Hollywood. It was very Hollywood in the sense that, 'This is definitely happening. You're getting all this money. We're doing it. We're hiring you.' And then no one returns a phone call.
"It was really crushing for me. Obviously, it would've been amazing to be in that type of film and have that kind of legacy. Just to be on par with MJ, with Michael Jordan, to have done something like that would've been crazy. I mean, I've had amazing, incredible experiences since then. I don't regret it, but it was kind of the big thing that got away in my life."
While "Skate Jam" never came to fruition, Warner Bros. is set to release the "Space Jam" sequel "Space Jam: A New Legacy" in July 2021.
- Key takeaways and analysis from Week 14 in the NFL
- NFL Playoff Picture - Week 14: Postseason seeds, projected draft order
- Cowboys dominate Eagles on SNF to shake up NFC East
- Falcons' Smith: 'Our spirit is not broken' despite costly loss to Bucs
- Ex-Kings goalie Quick helps Rangers prevail over his former team